We all have files that we want to protect from being accessed by someone we don’t want to share it with. Keeping your personal files protected all the time is extremely important. Setting up passwords for certain files, folders, images or zip packages is the way to go. We are going to show you the best solutions that can be used for protecting your file by using zip and using a third-party application.
First, on our list is Winrar followed by 7zip and the last is WinZip. we will give a quick guide on how to password protect your ZIP Files using the mentioned software above.
WinRAR is the world’s most popular compression tool used on the Windows Platform. It is very easy to use and packs with a lot of interesting features that we can utilize. It is a free-distributed application. we have prepared a quick guide on how to use WinRar to password protect your zip files.
1. Start by downloading the WinRar client from here
2. Follow the on-screen prompts and install this program. click the executable winrar file
3. Choose the file you want to compress and secure.(folder, images, videos, etc)
4. Right-click on the file and from the list that will be displayed choose “Add to archive…”
5. A new window will show up, under the General Tab, Enter a name for the ZIP File and choose the Archive format that you want to use. in this case, we are using ZIP. Next, click on the Set Password button.
6. When prompted, enter your desired password and re-enter it again for confirmation
7. Apply the changes by clicking the OK button and Viola!
You have successfully created a password protected zip file.
7-Zip is a free and open-source file archiver. This piece of software is very easy to use pack with interesting features. see all main features below:
- High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
- Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 87 languages
7-Zip works in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2016 / 2012 / 2008 / 2003 / 2000 / NT.
– source: 7-ZiP
Here are the steps on how to use the 7-ZIP:
1. Start by downloading the 7-Zip client here
2. Select the file(s) you want to compress.
3. Right-click the file you selected and choose “7-Zip” > “Add to archive…”
4. Set the “Archive Format” to ZIP and then on the Encryption area, Enter your desired password. Make sure to select AES-256 for the Encryption Method.
5. click OK.
Now the file is encrypted with the password. to open the file, you will need to provide the password you previously entered.
Additional info: 7-ZIP cannot set a password to an existing compressed zip file.